Spatchcock chicken may sound like too big of a job for a BBQ, but think again! This BBQ spatchcock chicken recipe is made for your fire pit BBQ, whether you’re cooking for just your family or a large gathering of friends. Coated in a fragrant marinade and topped with a zesty spritz of lemon juice, this spatchcock chicken is a feast for all the senses and makes the perfect BBQ meal all year round. So, add a new recipe to your grill book with this BBQ spatchcock chicken.
Perfect BBQ Spatchcock Chicken Every Time
Chicken is a wonderfully versatile food, but it’s not as common on our BBQ grills as beef and pork. This tandoori twist on BBQ spatchcock chicken will certainly change that in your house!
Any cut of chicken is perfect for the BBQ. Chicken pieces with the bones in and skin on are ideal for the BBQ since they help insulate the meat and reduce the risk of it overcooking. By spatchcocking your chicken, you can ensure that each bit will be cooked perfectly every time, from the leanest to the fattiest.
Easy BBQ Spatchcock Chicken With A Tandoori Twist
This recipe is everything BBQ food should be – easy, delicious and quick to put together from your cupboard staples. With plenty of spices and a kick of lemon, it’s tasty enough to call you back again and again.
For a lighter flavour, try switching out the lemon in this recipe for lime. The tangy citrus kick will still be present, but the lighter taste will make the chicken perfect for those humid summer evenings.
Serves 4 | 519 Calories Per Portion
- 1.7 kg spatchcock chicken
- 3 teaspoons of dried ginger
- 3 teaspoons of ground turmeric
- 4 cloves of garlic
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- ¼ – ½ tsp of chilli powder
- 150g Greek yogurt
- First, you’ll need to gather all the ingredients for the marinade. Begin by adding the ginger, turmeric and garlic into a large mixing bowl. Add the lemon zest, cumin seeds, and your preferred amount of chilli powder. Then, add the yogurt and mix it all together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Then, spread the chicken on a large board and rub the marinade over the bird until it’s all covered. Cover and set aside for at least 30 minutes to allow the chicken to marinate.
- As the chicken marinades, you can prepare your barbecue and spark up the fire. Once you’ve added charcoal, you’ll have to wait until the charcoal has stopped smoking and at least 2/3rds of it has turned white. If you’ve BBQ is already lit, you can begin cooking any other foods you have prepared.
- Once the chicken has marinated, place it breast side down over the hottest part of the BBQ. Cook it for 4 – 6 minutes on each side, or until it’s nicely coloured all over. Once the chicken is seared, move it to a cooler part of the BBQ and cook for 1 hour, or until cooked through.
- Test if the chicken is cooked by inserting a skewer into the thickest part of the bird. If it is properly cooked, the juices should run clear. If they don’t, cook for another few minutes before performing the same check.
- Once the chicken is cooked, leave it to rest off the BBQ for around 20 minutes before carving. If desired, you can serve your BBQ chicken with lemon wedges.
Cook all your food to perfection with our fire pit BBQ cooking guide
How To Serve BBQ Spatchcock Chicken
Match this spicy chicken with a large bowl of cooling salad – a combination of cucumber, tomato and red onion salad is a great accompaniment for warm summer night meals. Alternatively, add to the spicy theme with some curry rice or homemade naan bread.
Pairing tangy BBQ chicken with the right refreshing drink is easy for any age. A fruity red wine should do the trick for the adults, and you could even take the drink further by brewing up an easy sangria cocktail. Stock up on lemonade and ginger beer to compliment the spiciness for the little ones.
Finally, finish your BBQ on a high note with a dessert that fits right in. Something light is always best after a BBQ, so you could opt for a simple, lightweight fruit salad with summery fruits like strawberries, grapes, and watermelon. Or, for a bit of a sweeter end to the feast, consider incorporating one of those summery fruits into a yummy cheesecake.
Anna is the marketing and office manager for Garden Benches – a premium supplier of high-quality wooden benches and other outdoor furniture.